Just set up Email Notification Package 1.6

General question about the package, problems, solutions
mpatel

Just set up Email Notification Package 1.6

Postby mpatel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm

I was searching for a more robust notification package and I stumbled upon this one. I am fairly new to CQ, so I am still learning, but after I was able to successfully install the package, I did a test run on my first notification rule. Unfortuately, it failed. I am getting this error: "SMTP MAIL ERROR (From Address): 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated" when trying to send an email "from" me "to" me. The message contents look correct, but I am not fimilar with SMTP stuff.

Please help!

Thanks
Mitul

Pavel

Re: Just set up Email Notification Package 1.6

Postby Pavel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 am

It looks like your server requires authentication. You need to configure "email_login" and "email_password" (secure) properties.
In some cases, mail relay could be restrictive and require that "From" email address would belong to the user used for authentication. In this case, you would need to set "email_address" property too.

Alternatively, you can deliver emails from a centralized location using "Queue" delivery mode and delivery script. The server used for notification would need to be added in the list of "trusted" servers on the mail relay.

Pavel

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Pavel,

I put in my login and password and I get this error message:

"SMTP AUTH ERROR:
5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type"

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Pavel,

I need to add that my company is now using Exchange 2010, does that affect the SMTP connection? If so, how do I modify the code to make an NTLS connection instead? I believe that is what Exchange supports now.

Thanks
Mitul

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:31 pm

mpatel wrote:I need to add that my company is now using Exchange 2010, does that affect the SMTP connection? If so, how do I modify the code to make an NTLS connection instead? I believe that is what Exchange supports now.

Exchange 2010 supports SMTP and password authentication, but it can be restricted by administrator.
If you are not mistaken, you mentioned NTLM authentication.

There are two possible options:
1) you can send email from a centralized location, such as ClearQuest server, using Queue delivery mode, and email administrator adds the host to the list of trusted machines to disable authentication for it. There is no security risk, and it should be acceptable option.
2) you can modify provided Delivery Script to utilize NTLM authentication with the exchange server

Everything else is not in scope of the free support option, sorry.

Pavel

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am

Pavel,

I have two scenerios:

1) An automated email gets generated and send from the CQ Server, this is triggered by the CQ Email Reader. No end-user will ever have to manually send an email using this account.
2) Other automated emails will be sent by the owner of the record or by CM. Example: When a record gets submitted, an automated email gets sent out FROM the owner, that a record has been submitted. So, there could a be a number of FROM individuals.

My question is -- how does the script differ from what is already built-in to ClearQuest? If I create an email_rule where the FROM is a Current User, it sends the emails out with no issues, that's what I want to do with the script, but use the awesome features your team has created.

How do I use the Queue Delivery method??

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

mpatel wrote:1) An automated email gets generated and send from the CQ Server, this is triggered by the CQ Email Reader. No end-user will ever have to manually send an email using this account.

Email reader does not send any emails.

mpatel wrote:2) Other automated emails will be sent by the owner of the record or by CM. Example: When a record gets submitted, an automated email gets sent out FROM the owner, that a record has been submitted. So, there could a be a number of FROM individuals.

It is your choice: you can configure notification to be send from a single address, such as "ClearQuest Email" even if it is triggered by different individuals.

mpatel wrote:How do I use the Queue Delivery method??

You need to set "EN_DeliveryMode" property to "Queue" (submit udb_property record with "EN_DeliveryMode" as a name and "Queue" as a value). You can find mode details on the following page:
http://cqadmin.org/wiki/ClearQuest_Emai ... ivery_Mode

Pavel

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:43 am

Pavel,

I did some test runs and got it work. I did however find a bug in the code. I got this warning: "Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at (eval 1) line 2294." All I did was change "==" to "eq" and it worked.

Anyway -- I wanted to ask you about how flexible the email body can be as far as processing the perl variable. Currently, I have a date/time field in my email and I want to grab JUST the date portion. Can I do a conversion or anything like that in the body of the email? Is there a easy way to strip out just the date, like Date($start_date)....anything like that?

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:33 pm

mpatel wrote:Anyway -- I wanted to ask you about how flexible the email body can be as far as processing the perl variable. Currently, I have a date/time field in my email and I want to grab JUST the date portion. Can I do a conversion or anything like that in the body of the email? Is there a easy way to strip out just the date, like Date($start_date)....anything like that?

You can use fields, session variables, functions - standard perl functions (operating with scalars and returning scalar), functions defined in the schema, package, and user functions defined on the database level.
You can find some examples here:
http://cqadmin.org/wiki/Notification_Examples

In your case, you can use DateTimeToDate package function, i.e. DateTimeToDate($start_date)
http://cqadmin.org/wiki/Package_configu ... ime.3E_.29

Pavel

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Pavel,

Can you help me setup a task using Task Scheduler for Windows 7? I know how to open cmd.exe, but I am having trouble with passing in the TimedNotification.pl file and its parameters all in one Action.

Thanks
Mitul

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:03 pm

You can create a .bat file where you call

Code: Select all

cqperl perl_script_name.pl script parameters

BTW, Timed Notification script is used to configure reminder notifications, such as due date reminder, etc.
I would like to be sure that it is what you are looking for.

Pavel

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Pavel,

I figured it out, it all works now. I use the /c "TimedNotification.pl" -arguments command and it works.

But, I wanted to ask you about something else -- I just pitched this package to my VP of Systems Engineering and he loves it. I did mention your name and the presentation you gave and he was very happy about it. He did mention one thing...which was, Read-reciepts, is there a way to configure the package so it knows, if someone didn't respond or read an email, that another one is sent again? Kinda like a read-reciept.

In your PDF file you also mention EmailPlus -- What is that?

Thanks for all your help!
Mitul

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:46 pm

mpatel wrote:I wanted to ask you about something else -- I just pitched this package to my VP of Systems Engineering and he loves it. I did mention your name and the presentation you gave and he was very happy about it. He did mention one thing...which was, Read-reciepts, is there a way to configure the package so it knows, if someone didn't respond or read an email, that another one is sent again? Kinda like a read-reciept.

There is a way to request read-receipts by adding one or more of the following lines in the email header:
X-Confirm-Reading-To: Disposition-Notification-To: or Return-Receipt-To:
However, requesting a receipt does not guarantee that you will get one for many reasons: email client might not recognize the request, it can be disabled, etc
BTW, in some cases it is possible to track user responses accurately. For instance, if you configured a notification requesting record approval at particular state, then, using timed notification, you can verify if the record was approved in a reasonable time and send a reminder if necessary.

mpatel wrote:In your PDF file you also mention EmailPlus -- What is that?

EmailPlus is a package that is distributed by IBM to ALM package users. In short, it also offers some flexibility in configuring email body, but it does not offer to much flexibility in configuring message recipients. Also it lacks reminders and user-database run-time extension capabilities (such as user-defined functions).

Thank you,
Pavel

mpatel

Postby mpatel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Pavel,

I got almost everything working that I need for my new process. There is one thing I can't figure out...and that is Filter Query. When creating a new Email Notification Rule, I don't see a place where I can limit when an email gets sent out based off a query.

Here is what I am trying to do: I have a form, that has multiple check boxes with coorsponding text boxes...these are for signatures. Each checkbox goes to a different person. If a checkbox is selected, an automated email goes out to that person requesting a signature on reply. This is where the CQ Email Reader comes into play. It will detect which field has changes and will update the record accordingly. To make sure no one gets flooded with emails whenever a state change occurs, I set up a query that checks to see if that particular check box is selected during a certain state, "Pending_Signatures". Then and only then does an automated email go out.

Question -- is there a place where I can include my queries I have created for each individual check box. I will be generating the body of each email manually with perl variables, but I don't know how to tell it to only send if a check box is selected during a certain state.

Thanks
Mitul

Pavel

Postby Pavel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Mitul,

You can use advanced condition field to check field value, i.e.:

Code: Select all

$checkbox_field_name == 1

Pavel

Return to “Email Notification Package Q&A”