Receiving emails in certain order

General question about the package, problems, solutions
edpmvl

Receiving emails in certain order

Postby edpmvl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 am

Hi

I have 2 emailrules that are triggered at the same time by the same action, but the client needs to receive them in a certain order. How can i influence this and make sure that one is delivered before the other ? The Priority field only sets a flag, but has nothing to do with the delivery sequence. Is it possible at all to influence this (a built in delay mechanism...)? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Kind Regards
Marjon

Pavel

Re: Receiving emails in certain order

Postby Pavel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:56 am

edpmvl wrote:Hi

I have 2 emailrules that are triggered at the same time by the same action, but the client needs to receive them in a certain order. How can i influence this and make sure that one is delivered before the other ? The Priority field only sets a flag, but has nothing to do with the delivery sequence. Is it possible at all to influence this (a built in delay mechanism...)? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Kind Regards
Marjon

Usually, messages are delivered to SMTP server, and there is no way you can guarantee delivery sequence. For example, one message could be delivered immediately, while another spent a couple of hours in the mail server queue. Size of the messages along with other factors can impact delivery, and some of them are entirely random.
You can try using "queue" delivery mode and customized delivery script to implement a delay (based on priority, for example), but if regular email transport network is used to deliver messages to the recipient after that, there is no way you can reliably deliver messages in particular sequence. It is not the package limitation.

Regards,
Pavel

Return to “Email Notification Package Q&A”